It was Martin Puyjalon, the Mayor of Martel, who built Château de La Tuilerie in 1820. The Puyjalon family originated from Marcillac-la-Croze in Limousin, and had lived in the area through five generations at this point. Their fortune was considerable and they lived in Martel in a big house, at the corner of Place du Dehors and Rue de Brive, called Maison des Roses. It is believed, that the Puyjalon family must have had a lime kiln and a tile factory in Gluges from the end of the 18th century. Back then, there were many tile works on the bank of the Dordogne river, between Beaulieu and Souillac. At the very beginning of the 19th century, the cadastral matrix of Gluges was drawn up. It shows, that the three or four large families who were landowners, lost their rents, but not their lands during the revolution. The “Puyjalon de la Tuilerie family” had 115 hectares.
Today Château de La Tuilerie consists of 15,5 hectares.
The other families had more modest estates of 5 to 6 hectares. The typical crafts in Gluges were weavers, stonemasons, masons and fishermen. Women also worked. They were traders and “bugadières” or washerwomen. It is likely that then, the main families of Gluges were those descending from the tenants of the 15th century. During the Revolution, the Puyjalon’s did not emigrate, thus avoiding seizure of their property. Martin Puyjalon became mayor of Martel under the Empire. He was an instrument in the construction of departmental road 14 and the bridge of Gluges, but he was no longer mayor when the projects were completed. Before the castle was built in 1820, Martin Puyjalon’s family lived in the orangery. It is not known how far back this building dates, but it used to consist of a ground floor and a first floor. The construction of the outbuildings began in 1827, and they were used for the animals. The tile works and lime kilns were still in full operation at this point. After the death of his wife, Martin Puyjalon left his property to his eldest son, Jean-Baptiste. In 1829, the mayor of Martel declared:
“In Gluges lies a brickyard and a lime kiln which belongs to Mr. Puyjalon. It makes lime and brick of excellent quality. They pull stone from Roc de Cap de Bio, and clay from the land adjacent to the tile works”. Jean-Baptiste Puyjalon died in Gluges in 1852. His son Louis succeeded him, and the tile production survived. The following family members were still living in the castle in 1866; Louis’ widower, his sister Louise, his mother and his son Henri, who was 25 years old. They had five servants, led by Baptiste Cheylat, who was 70 years old.
Château de la Tuilerie was sold to the Conquans family before 1876. The new owner was a noble man. It is not known, when the tile works and the lime kiln ceased their activity.
In 1912 Mr Charles de la Pannonie residing in Couzou bought the Château. It was him and his wife who restored the orangery to what it is today. They altered the facade completly and had the two floors reduced to one, but installed the big tall windows. The big fireplace is from the 16th century, and comes from Château du Beynac. It is unknown when the fireplace was installed in the orangery. The castle changed hands again in 1920 to a Mrs Gabrielle FRAUCIEL residing in Martel. Already in 1926, it was sold again to Mr Joseph Charrie and wife residing in Figeac. Shortly after it was sold again to a Mr Pierre Laveissiere and wife. In 1935 they made the long driveway that we use today. Before that, the old entrance was via the gate next to the old Tobacco Leaf barn.
The next interesting fact happens during WWII, when the Lot is catagorized in the “free zone” of France. The Royal Belgium family had escaped their home country due to the German occupation, and so they came here to live in exile during the war from 1940 to 1944. The picture below portrays some of the Royal Belgium family on the terrace in front of the Castle in 1940.
The next owners were the son and daughter of Mr Pierre Laveissiere and wife, who were the sole heirs. Brother and sister Pierre and Lucie Laveissiere changed the deed in 1959 to include their spouses. The two Parisian families shared this wonderful property, and used it for vacationing until they sold it in 2003. New owners Mr and Mrs Raynal bought the Château with only one running bathroom. They renovated the interior to the useful rooms you find today, and ran a Bed & Breakfast through 15 years. In 2022 we took over this beautiful castle, and it is our hope that it will flourish again and stay in our family for many years to come.
Château de La Tuilerie
Domaine de Gluges